10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
(New York time)
Master Class moderator
Grzegorz (Greg) Piechota
Researcher-in-Residence, International News Media Association (INMA)
Key themes for this module
When planning your digital subscription product, one must consider what's behind the paywall (your value proposition) and what's in front of the paywall. Paywalls are essentially a segmentation tool to filter out readers who have the highest willingness to pay. In this module, we will reveal, based on years of research, who's most likely to pay? And for what?
- Who’s going to buy first and who will buy next? What role engagement plays in your subscription strategy?
- Which paywall models — freemium or meters — are the most frequent across the world and why? Which one is best for you?
- What are the pros and cons of paywalls and membership models without paywalls?
- How the most advanced dynamically targeted paywalls work and what’s their performance?
- What are the reasons people pay for news content? And how to discover how much to charge?
Our transformation toolbox: How Norway's Aftenposten went from digital-first to audience-first and I went from being an editor to become a CEO
Espen Egil Hansen, former Chief Executive Officer and Editor-In-Chief, Aftenposten, Norway
An insider’s look behind our paywalls: How a regional news powerhouse in Germany launched its digital subscription products and the lessons learnt after their first two years
Sarah Barth, Senior Conversion Manager, Funke Digital, Germany