Overview of this campaign
NewsLocal’s 20 community newspapers created a one-of-a-kind digital event to engage readers beyond the print product and develop a big idea that people would share, talk about, get involved in and belong to. #SnapSydney, an annual photographic movement that captures a day in the life of Sydney over one 24 hour period, was born.
2015 key objectives:
• Grow audience & engagement across NewsLocal print & digital assets
• Enhance brand advocacy
• Generate unique content for NewsLocal print & digital assets
• Increase awareness and engagement of NewsLocal social assets across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
• Increase #SnapSydney page views 50% YOY
• Exceed 2014 results of 10,000 submitted photos
*Refer to Supporting Document 1*
• $70,000 spent across media & production.
• Integrated campaign across owned print platforms, owned & paid social/digital platforms, out-of-home activity & radio.
• Pre-promote 26/10/2015 with in-house press, external marketing launched 9/11/2015 through to 18/11/2015 event.
To meet key objectives & tap into a very desirable audience for our print products we used insights from emmaTM* that revealed:
• Social media is the way to tap into a young, affluent audience not consuming print in huge numbers.
• Almost one in two Australians conduct some sort of social media activity weekly / Instagram users most active in uploading and sharing.
• 70% of population members of a social media networking site, predominantly under 35yrs and 60% of Instagram users are female.
Using these insights & learnings from 2014 we determined the main focus for our marketing & media activity.
Results for this campaign
Instagram primary network used to submit photos in 2014 - due to the synergies between the network, its users and our objective of sharing photos this was our key external communication tool. Facebook used to accompany the key messaging of the campaign on how to take part. Press ads & editorial used to create mass awareness amongst readers. Majority of photos shared in 2014 were located around the city & the beaches, primary out-of-home and event activity was located in these areas. Street stencils provided cost-effective short term out-of-home solution to target high footfall areas, increasing general awareness and promoting the hashtag & event date. A lunchtime concert & mobile digital display in the CBD screening live images engaged people throughout the day. Prize partner Canon hosted a series of Instameets around the city.
*Refer to Supporting Document 2*
• Provided unique print and digital content, provided user generated content via social media, drove engagement and awareness of NewsLocal’s websites & delivered brand advocacy via celebrity endorsement.
• Mobilised readers to get involved in Sydney’s biggest collective selfie. Participants took photo that represented their ‘A Day in the Life’, shared them via hashtag #SnapSydney. 100 NewsLocal photographers also captured uniquely iconic images across 20 distribution areas. Out-of-home campaign engaged community to get involved.
• snapsydney.com.au housed a live media wall pulling in images and a running news blog all day.
• 11,496 photos submitted across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and email. 14.9% increase YOY.
• #SnapSydney web pages received 159,873 page views, 63% increase YOY.
• #SnapSydney campaign reached 1,995,851 across owned and paid Facebook and Instagram channels, and delivered 49,583 engagements.
• Over 50 Celebrities used #SnapSydney and tweets reached 458,354 followers driving advocacy of our brand.
• #SnapSydney hashtag trended on Twitter at number 3 on the day.
• Significant PR coverage - Channel 7 News Sydney, Radio 2GB, Nova FM, Triple M, What’s On Sydney & Popsugar websites, Sydney Chic Blog, The Newspaper works, Mumbrella, Campaign Brief & Influencing.
• NewsLocal’s first paid Instagram campaign delivered 1.32m impressions, total reach of 848,235.
*Refer to Supporting Document 3*